Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Titus 3:8a


"This is a faithful saying,"


Comings and goings, I (like most) interface with literally dozens of faces everyday. Off to the next, already forgetting what was said in the previous. Rapid fire it is, almost mindless. Wanting to impress, embellishments smoothly slip off my tongue under or overstating reality. Suddenly my mind kicks into high gear and I remember among the countless forgetful words that my saying is not entirely faithful. My fearfully and wonderfully made (cf. Psalm 139:14) wiring mechanism woven throughout my frame and the actual residence of God Himself in my sinew, my very fabric sends a signal to my heart - 'You shouldn't have said that.' Faithful sayings they are not - they're contaminated with the pollutant of self-exultation, my idol to be elevated in the sight of men while looking down (as if I ever could) upon the essence of God. His refusal to look up minced with His inordinate love in spite of myself, gently pulls me back into a subject and humble estate where I'm forced to tilt my head back, but only after laying it low. Now the next words emitted from my mouth can be faithful.


Nothing of the sort ever happens with God. All His sayings are always true. All His sayings are always faithful. When I speak, the head of listening ears should cock, but when God speaks the eyes of attentive hearts should lock without a gaze in any direction but up. The faithful sayings of God are as sure as life and death itself. Finally I can rest and relax without questioning or examining whether what I've read, what I've seen is real and to be undoubtedly relied upon. Buried in a heap of photoshopped hyperconnective communication, I can pull my head from under the surface and breath fresh truth that fills my lungs with pure air.


I believe in the Bible. I believe in its Author. I believe in faithful sayings. Now in belief I hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment