"... saying things which they ought not."
The mouth speaketh while the mind thinketh not. Or, as was I often told, "Think before you speak, Tom.". A truer truism could be said. "... the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart." (Matthew 12:34b) I need not think more, I need a blood transfusion.
The car sat idle at a traffic light. Barret asked, "Why put it in neutral when you're stopped?" Without the right foot pressure on the left foot pedal, rotating gears propel the car forward. With the stick in the "Drive" position, it was designed to move. Might as well shift it in neutral to put the machinery out of its purposed inclination. Now we go nowhere and no effort is required of either man or machine.
Nowhere is where idleness leads. And in the "Land of Nowhere" does the mind continue to run. Drawing its petrol from the heart, it fuels the echoes of the mouth. So, is the fuel high octane, clean burning, or contaminated with sludge?
There is a time for idleness. It's when I'm horizontal, with head on the pillow. Otherwise, the body and the mind need to be in gear. I'm tired at the day's close. I'm also tired at other moments of the day. It's then that I reach for the low cost alternative. Television, internet, whatever's accessible.
Three nozels protrude from the fueling station. This high performance engine needs premium grade. Why would I grab hold of the lower? It's cheaper.
I ought not speak before I think, but better yet, I ought not fill up an empty tank when running on fumes and with a penniless wallet. The bank vault has a never ending supply of cash. My access to the "bread of life" (cf. John 6:35) and the Father are always within arm's length (cf. Romans 5:2).
I'm tired. It's time to turn 90 degrees or make a withdrawal and lay hold of the good stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment