Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Timothy 6:6-8


"Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content."


Gain. Loss. What are they? A starting point is required. From there it's forward progress or backward decline. Maybe. Perhaps both yield returns. "To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Newton's Third Law of Motion is more theological than mathematical and physical; they're inseparable.


And content? Discontent? What are they? There is a starting point. From there it's contentment or discontentment. Again, maybe both are required to yield a desirable state.


Life constantly straddles the lines of gain and loss, contentment and discontentment. I wonder whether it's all or nothing, or whether it's movement toward or away. I'm beginning to think it's the former over the later, as if I either have both feet in the boat and remain dry, or both feet out and get soaking wet. Once I possess everything, what else is there to gain, and once I apprehend my gain, how could my contentment make greater headway? But here's where the two part ways, for one is spiritual and the other is physical. The loss of the physical can yield a gain when it's understood in the spiritual realm. "... whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ." (Philippians 3:7)


There is an order. I have gained all I need in Jesus. Nothing can be added. It's sufficient. I've crossed that spiritual finish line. Now I must still live in the physical realm. What do I need here? Food and clothing. These I have. What other need have I? Both states are fully satisfied. I cannot improve upon them. To attempt to do so leads to religion and idolatry. Actually, to try to improve upon them leads to loss and discontent.


In these states, both spiritual and physical, I'm best equipped for godliness for I have loosed myself of all shackles that weigh me down. I came with nothing into the world and shall leave with nothing; ah but I shall leave with the greatest gain I could not earn.


Today I'm content.


No comments:

Post a Comment