Monday, March 30, 2009

Ezekiel 1:28c


"So when I saw it, I fell on my face,"


The glory of the Lord, described earlier in this introductory chapter by Ezekiel, is really beyond human words. He uses imagery given to him by God's divine appearance that is extremely difficult for me to put together. It reads very much like similar imagery given to John in Revelation. One thing's for sure, when Ezekiel saw this vivid picture he was overcome, so much so that he fell on his face. In fact, he does it again in Chapter 3, verse 23. The glory of the Lord is too much to see and not respond without completely bowing prostrate before Him. I cannot even begin to imagine; it's both frightening and exciting.


Even though I cannot possibly or remotely see the fullness of this glory as partially explained by Ezekiel, it still exists. It's there, beyond my physical realm. However, some of His glory is made very real to me merely in the vision of what I literally see here on earth; the stars, the sunlight, the expanse of the blue sky, the trees, the sounds of animals, etc... And yet, that's but the fringes of His glory, the mere edges.


There is a song I love to listen to entitled, "I Can Only Imagine". It's moving and profound as the writer/singer contemplates what he/she will do when encountering Jesus for the first time. Responses like dancing, singing, kneeling and speechlessness are all mentioned. I believe that first glance at Him will be more of the later than the former, responses generated by both deathly fear and utter joy that I've never known. In the meantime, just knowing that the radiance of His glory is there in what is unseen, and known by what is seen is enough for me to stand in awe today, both fearful and joyful in the presence of the King.


No comments:

Post a Comment