Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Corinthians 1:25


"... the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men."

Is God a fool? Of course not. Is God weak? Of course not. Nobody in their right mind would make such a statement. But people in their "right" mind make such declarations all the time when Christians, especially sold out ones, are criticized for their faith in Him. Do those Christians appear foolish? Do they appear weak? You bet they do, and you bet they should. But most people don't want "their" god to create wholesale commitment or dependence. As long as there is a god that's good enough with a "good" life, but far be it that a life would need him, worship him or serve him.

Enough about others. What about me? Am I a fool for God? Am I weak for God? I should be. But I'm not, certainly not enough. My life looks too much like the world's. I blend in too much. However I cannot be radical simply for the sake of being radical for Christ. But I can be myself, and hopefully being myself in Him will have a natural appearance of foolishness and weakness in the eyes of the blind. Now why would I want to do this? For the sake of others? No, but for the sake of Jesus. He's called me to take up my cross (that heinous symbol of death and now an adornment of beauty) daily and follow Him. (cf. Luke 9:23)

So what will my cross look like today? Something of comfort and beauty, or something of foolishness and weakness? By the grace of God I pray my speech, my service, my work, my thoughts, my love would be so crazy out of love for Jesus that it's considered craziness when contrasted with that of the world's.

Glory be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment