Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Thessaloniand 4:1b


"... abound more and more,"

The pursuit of holiness is a like mining for jewels, thinking all the while that there's got to come a day when the gems can no longer be extracted because they've all been discovered.  However, after a lifetime of digging, you realize that the mountains are infinitely enriched with more fine stones than could possibly be unearthed. Since the depths of the wisdom and knowledge of God are unsearchable, and since the Word of God is better and richer than fine gold, much fine gold, then so is the growth and sanctification that I undergo with Jesus. I will never get close enough, never get holy enough, never reach high enough, never attain perfection enough, and never love God enough as long as I shall live. Should this discourage me?  May it never be. There was a day when it did cause me to become downcast, but now I see more clearly that in the pursuit is joy and to look back at where I've come from I cannot but stretch my arms out to Him in thanksgiving and praise.

So, may I abound more and more. Abound in what?  Abound in growth, abound in love, abound in purity, abound in humility, abound in meekness, abound in weakness, abound in knowledge, abound in wisdom, abound in sacrifice, abound in prayer, abound in service, and abound in Him.

'My Jesus, I love Thee, because Thou first loveth me. May I ever and always, find Thee be my rest.  For Thee, and for Thee alone, I live, love and abound all the more.'

No comments:

Post a Comment