Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I Thessalonians 3:3


"
... no one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this."

Paul suffered innumerable afflictions and sufferings for the sake of Jesus. These are chronicled throughout the New Testament. But why? This question opens up the age old debate about suffering and the sovereignty of God. Without attempting to unpack this complex theological conundrum, I can only think on what Paul has written here. He says that he (actually "we", including others like Timothy) was appointed to afflictions. Appointed. It was God's design that Paul encounter hardship. And when others witnessed this in his life they were not to be shaken. In other words, it shouldn't trouble them to the point of wavering in their faith. God saw fit to permit him to endure sufferings that others might be encouraged, not discouraged, and that God might be honored. It's easy to honor God when life cruises along like I want it to, but when difficulties arise... how's my honoring then? He's the Lord of the good and the bad, that the good might be found in the bad and that my faith in His goodness might not be shaken.

While I don't want to pray for difficulties to come my way, I do pray that when they come (and they will) I will live in such a way that others are drawn to Jesus and not shaken. I also want to see them as coming from a loving hand of God, and not a dispassionate, uncaring and unengaged God. Finally, I hope and want to consider it an honor to even be worthy enough to receive hardship from God. What a high calling!

'Press me on, Lord, to fight the good fight. Give me strength for the battle today. Cause me to see Your gentle hand in it all. Don't let me waver or be shaken. I'm wobbly right now, and need You to right side me up.'

No comments:

Post a Comment