Monday, July 20, 2009

I Thessalonians 5:15


"See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all."


It's a well known axiom that "two wrongs don't make a right". That's akin to rendering evil for evil. It's well known because human nature is inclined to do the opposite. We want justice; I want justice, and I'm inclined to take matters into my own hands to see that it's served, especially in the most subtle of ways. This is the way I'm wired. Were it not for that innate need to see justice served, then I could see no need for salvation because I'd never be able to grasp the truth that a penalty must be paid for my waywardness against God. Justice is a paramount and essential element of the Christian faith.


I'm reminded by God that, "Vengance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." (Romans 12:19b) So by God's grace I can let any pursuit to take matters into my own hands go, particularly when they're evil, knowing it will eventually and appropriately be dealt with by Him. That's passive. I need do nothing but determine by the grace of God to "let it go". However, I'm not only called to be passive, but active. It's required of me to pursue what is good. I will almost always pursue what is good for me, but for others? Pursuit requires energy; it requires action. And in the heat of any inclination to render evil, I can put that off and put on good. The desire to commit a sin is a bellwether to commit a deed of mercy.


The opportunity to think evil of someone because of their evil will surely come my way today. I pray that its presence will trigger a reaction, a pursuit to do good for them and to them in their very midst. Then I want to step back and see the power of the gospel do its work.


No comments:

Post a Comment