Thursday, June 4, 2009

II Corinthians 11:16 & 30


"I repeat, let no one think me foolish. But even if you do, accept me as a fool, so that I too may boast a little. If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness."


What's wrong with showing a little weakness? I have always been one to hide behind perceived strength when I am indeed weak. That's the value of our culture, particularly for a man, and that's a "value" I've imbibed for too long. While I don't want to be a whimp, I also don't want to portray something to others that isn't real, sinfulness and all. My mask of being a strong man when I'm ever so weak diminishes the full effect of God's power. It robs Him of His due glory.


So how am I weak? I fear men, I desire the praise of men over God, I fall prey to selfishness and self-indulgences, I embellish, and I seek pleasure over sacrifice. These are sins, and sins are signs of weakness. God knows my frame and He's intimately acquainted with my failures and frustrations. I cannot project an image to Him that He cannot see right through. So why not appropriately project my own weaknesses to others who do not have omniscient power so that they can begin to see the real power of God at work in me? When I sin, I need to be more forthcoming so that "... the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16b) I know this isn't exactly what Paul was referring to in this passage, but if I'm really going to get serious about mortifying sin, it's time to start revealing my weakness and confessing my wrongdoings to others. My progress, being made known to all men (cf. I Timothy 4:15), cannot only be an encouragement, but also a genuine deflection of self seeking gain to God honoring glory. So in this, my weakness, I now boast.


No comments:

Post a Comment