Tuesday, May 26, 2009

II Corinthians 10:12 & 17-18


"For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.


But 'he who glories, let him glory in the Lord.' For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends."


Comparisons. They're always benchmarked against something. As long as that benchmark is the right measuring stick, then the comparison is appropriate. But if not, then it's misleading and directs you toward an object that leads you astray from the proper benchmark. Most of the time my improper benchmarks are other people I look up to or are sinfully jealous of. If I look up to them as examples of Godly men and women, then I hope their lives would stir me up and spur me on to a stronger walk with Jesus. After all, Paul asked others to "join in following" his example, and to "observe those who walk according to the pattern" they had in Paul (and Timothy). (Philippians 3:17) But if my benchmark is someone I'm sinfully jealous of, then I only wish to be like them because of the attention it will draw to me. That's why the ultimate benchmark needs to be Jesus, and the goal of my striving to make much of Him. Those that love Jesus and follow hard after Him set a standard worthy of achieving because the goal is Him, not us. Sometimes, however, I can even find myself wanting to follow a Godly example because it will make more of me. How twisted is that? 'O' God, please have mercy on me and forgive. And please erase the idol of "me" and substitute it with the idol of "You"'.


'Lord, I am approved because You commended me, not because I think I am commended in my own eyes. I do a lot of self-commending, but ask that You help me, by Your grace, to humbly and meekly accept your commendation knowing that I'm only approved because of Jesus and His sacrificial work on my behalf. Were it not for Him, I would be striving with blindness toward dangers of destruction. May Jesus be my only benchmark today, knowing that my hard work to be more like Him will not approve me one iota more in Your eyes, but rather please You for the sake of Your honor and fame. It's all about You.'


No comments:

Post a Comment