Monday, May 11, 2009

II Corinthians 6:8b-10


"We are treated as impostors, and yet true, as unknown, and yet well known, as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed, as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything."


An "impostor"? How? I believe in everything this world despises, and yet I live and shall live into eternity with my King.


"Unknown"? By who? By those who are not known. And yet I'm known, and I'm known by God Almighty.


"Dying"? Yes, every day to myself and my selfish ambitions and desires. And yet, I'm more alive now than I've ever been before, and shall live at peace forever.


"Punished"? Sadly very little as the proclamation of my faith is not nearly as bold as it could be. I've yet to shed blood to the point of death, and perhaps never will. I thank God for those who've gone before me to secure my liberty with the gospel.


"Sorrowful"? Again, hardly, and if I am it's self imposed by less than noble motives. I do rejoice, however, in my salvation because He's turned my mourning into gladness. (cf. Psalm 30:11)


"Poor"? No, not at all. I could sacrifice so much more. And yet, I could also have so much more. Nonetheless, there's no question that I'm rich. I possess all I need for life, godliness and security beyond the heavenly gates.


"Having nothing"? Again, I have all too much. Upon my last breath on earth I shall no doubt have nothing, and oh how I long to be freed from the entanglements of this world. But there's no question that I also possess everything for there's nothing else that I could possibly need than to be covered by the blood of the spotless Lamb.


No comments:

Post a Comment