Sunday, May 10, 2009

II Corinthians 5:16a


"... from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh."


'The fact of the matter is, Lord, that everyone is immortal. I don't often think about others along these lines, but it's true. And what man views on the outside You look past and on the inside. (cf. I Samuel 16:7) I want to value what You value, God. The world makes judgments about what's important, what's valuable, what's beautiful and what's worth investing into. In almost every one of these cases You look at the same thing and find them despicable. (cf Luke 16:15) Why? Not because of what they are, but because of what they've become; idols of worship that You'll have no part of. (cf. Exodus 20:3)


And because of what You value, Lord, I pray that I'd not only see the spiritual and soulful (and thus eternal) elements of all of mankind, but that I'd also see them in myself. My outward body is wasting away (as is everyone's), but my inward soul is renewed and refreshed by Your mercies each day. The value of my outward appearance is of no eternal significance to You, but the appearance of my heart means everything to You. And as my heart is shaped, molded and reformed to look like my Jesus, then I'll start to see people not as mortal, unvalued obstacles, but as immortal, invaluable treasures. Help me to be unattracted to the physical and attracted to metaphysical. Give me eyes to peer beyond the flesh and into the life blood of the soul.'


No comments:

Post a Comment