Monday, April 27, 2009

I Corinthians 14:19


"... I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue."


'Almighty God, the power of Your Word, even just one word, when weighed against the scales of any other created thing, tips the balance and rips the fulcrum right off the base. That's why Paul can say here that even the gift of tongues, which have the appearance of weightiness in the eyes of man, cannot possibly compare to five words of understanding from the Scriptures; they're in two entirely different galaxies. This is also why it's important, Lord, that I beseech You to give me understanding of Your Word, because my temptation is to seek gifts that make me look weighty or glorious rather than making You look so. What a pitiful off-balance pursuit that is. Forgive me God, and help me to avoid those types of things in exchange for desiring that which will last into eternity future.


And here's another thing, Lord; Your Word is transferable. It's able to be passed down from one to another. Other gifts You give, all important of course, do not have that kind of perpetuity. The Word is to be taught and given away that others might do likewise. It's enduring. In heaven we will have no tongues, no deeds of mercy, or gifts of hospitality or administration as there will be no need for them. We will bask in the fullness of Your glory and hear the spoken Word, this time not repeated from others but from the original Source itself.


Give me understanding today God, if but only of five of Your written Words, that I might be transformed (just a little bit more; inch-by-tiny inch) into the likeness of my Jesus, and then I also be able to pass them along to others that they too might be just a tad bit more like Him.'


No comments:

Post a Comment