"And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown."
'Lord, You've given me great joy in the opportunity to run, literally run, both for pleasure and to compete (which was also a pleasure). There have been and are times still that I haven't or don't enjoy it, but those occasions were/are rare. What a gift. Thank you. It's been one of my most cherished luxuries even though I've willingly and sometimes unwillingly had to lay it down for a season. Running has regularly drawn me closer to you more than most any other discipline I've exercised. I worship, meditate, pray, ruminate, and have even been paradoxically still in your presence though swiftly putting one foot in front of the other over long spans of terrain. Again I say, "Thank you".
Regardless of whether I've run competitively or for sheer pleasure, Lord, it's almost always required temperance. There's self-control involved, otherwise I would never run. I must make a willful decision to stop whatever it is that I'm doing, change my clothes, stretch, and start running. When I'm finished, I have to take time to cool down, stretch again, clean-up and then change back into my street clothes. The whole process takes anywhere from one to two hours.
Now that's just one simple discipline, Lord. But to run the race of godliness for the everlasting prize of eternal life requires much, much more self-control. You've told me that I must exercise it in "all things", just like the competitive runner who desires a mere perishable prize. Today, Lord, those "all things" will include for me, among countless, prayer at all times (cf. I Thessalonians 5:17), exulting in whatever hardship may come my way (cf. Romans 5:3), speaking forth the gospel when the opportunity presents itself (cf. I Peter 3:15), and walking by faith and not by sight (cf. II Corinthians 5:7). But it will also require resisting temptation, holding back my tongue, telling the truth, and directing attention away from me. Furthermore, it requires practical things like eating the right foods and getting enough sleep.
Now how can all this possibly be possible, Lord? It seems so overwhelming. Only, God, by Your wonderful grace available in Christ that is more than sufficient for me. (cf. II Corinthians 12:9) This is more than just a common Christian phrase or platitude; it's a reality that I need to lay hold of. It's the "Gatorade" of my spiritual race that replenishes my electrolytes and gives me just enough boost to get across the finish line. I can't see the finish tape right now, but I know it's out there. Give me the strength today, Lord, to run today's leg with all the graceful self-control You supply.'
No comments:
Post a Comment