Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Corinthians 5:6b


"Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough?"


'Your recipe for me does not include the ingredient of leaven. But it does include the ingredients of sincerity and truth. (cf. I Corinthians 5:8) My bread is pure and contains only natural, genuine ingredients. There's no synthetics or mixed preservatives. I once possessed these, but Jesus cleaned them out and I became a new lump of bread. (cf. I Corinthians 5:7)


With the Passover (or Easter) right around the corner, I pray that I might feast with and upon the new leaven You've created around and in me. That new ingredient is the sincerity, truth and purity of the gospel of grace. I've been saved by grace and I shall live eternally in glory by grace, but I also walk today by grace. It's simple, undefiled and only the smallest amounts are more than sufficient to effect the whole lump.


Practically, Lord, this means that I must remain in the world, among the world, but not allow it to permeate the crust. And the only places where my crust is penetrable is where grace is not applied. There are people I will meet with today that I already know irritate me; that's not grace, that's leaven. I know that I may see things that cause my heart to stumble; that's not grace, that's leaven. I know I may be tempted to say things that are half-truths or embellishments; that's not grace, that's leaven. And I know that may be asked to compromise grace by adding something of myself to make it seem a little more tasty, but then it's no longer grace at all, but leaven.


Apprehending the unmerited favor You've scattered throughout every molecule of my life is something I'm able to effect, provided I cover my life by the cross and the resurrected Jesus now praying this prayer to You on my behalf.'


No comments:

Post a Comment