"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him."
'Lord, You have opened my eyes to know a lot about You. Over the years, through great teaching and countless meditations upon Your Truth, I have received the privilege of becoming well acquainted with You. Even then, however, I've but scratched the surface and desire to plumb yet greater depths. This kind of knowledge by itself, as wonderful as it is, has two sides to the coin. While it gives me broader insight into You, it also has the potential to puff up and make one proud. I confess that I've certainly fallen into that trap on more than one occasion. Not that I really know that much by way of comparison to what there is to know or to anyone else, but only in my own mind which is no comparison at all.
But there is a way to make that two sided coin one sided. Or another way to put it is there's a way to make a two-way street a one-way. Knowledge must be mingled with great love for You. In fact, knowledge should point the way, give proper direction and a road-map to love. The more I know of You, the more I love You. Knowledge points up, not in. When I permit it to only point inward, I've sinned against You.
Cause me today Lord to know you more intimately, with such intimacy leading to greater love for You. I want to know You more. I want to love You more. And I want to be known by You. May I be Your friend today?'
No comments:
Post a Comment